2026 Princeton Cemetery Walking Tour - Saturday, August 29, 2026
Tours will be at 1:30 pm and 4:00 pm.
Cemetery Sexton: Gary Fenske (920) 369-6160
Princeton City Hall: (920) 295-6612
Spring/summer artificial flowers and other memorial items may be placed on gravesites between the dates of May 1 through October 15th. Any items remaining after October 15th will be disposed of.
Christmas wreaths may be placed on the gravesites after Thanksgiving but shall be removed by the following April 1st or will be disposed of by the Cemetery Sexton.
Tours will be at 1:30 pm and 4:00 pm.
Saturday August 23, 2025. Tour Times are 1:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, August 24, 2024 the Cemetery Walk was held featuring the following individuals (individuals who did the portrayal listed after the name)
Betty Tuinstra - Gold Star Mother (Mary Lou Neubauer); Daniel Trainer Jr. - Dean of Natural Resources at UWSP (Pastor John Stelter); Daniel Trainer Sr. - WDNR Warden (Pastor Bruce Hanneman); Ernest and Martha Hiestand- Founders of Handcraft Co. (Ernie & Naomi Pulvermacher); Evelyn Shew - Wife of an early Princeton Merchant (Carol Graff); Harriet Paull-Wife, Mother, and Grandmother (Linda Ottman); Timothy Paull - Ice House Owner from the late 1800's (Daniel Hoppa); Polly Rosebrook - An early Princeton Settler (Susan Gorr); and an overview of the many Veterans buried in the City Cemetery (Will Gorr)
The restoration has several components:
1) Cataloging and Indexing Grave Sites 2) Monument and Grounds Clean-up
3) Monument and dedication of Potter's Field 4) Restoration of Monuments and Burial Sites
5) Designation of War Veterans Sites
"Scenes of the Past" are Historical articles which are published in the Princeton Times on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays from February through November. Following are a reprint of the stories which have been published.
Many stones in the cemetery are in the excess of 100 years old. Stone restoration can include clearing overgrowth or cleaning of the stone, or may be more extensive and include actual stone repair. The City has engaged the services of a professional to undertake those with extensive repairs needed.
The Restoration Project has been fund raising to cover the project costs. Donations have come from private parties, civic groups, and bake sales. A donation plaque is placed on the building honoring those who have provided a financial contribution. Pictured is a donation received from the local VFW Post which started the fund base.
Located on the storage shed, the Cemetery Information Board was added in 2015. The map display shows the unique "clover leaf" design, along with current events and upcoming fund raisers. There also is a plaque honoring those who have donated to the Restoration Project. A donation of $50.00 or more will generate a plaque in your honor. As part of an Eagle Scout Project, Jack Peters of rural Berlin, built the sign for the front of the building and erected a flag pole by the Gravesite of the Unknown Soldier.
The need to preserve the paper maps from the 1800's proved to be a challenge until we discussed the project with Linda and Russell Forbess of "Seams Old". Being recommended by the Wisconsin State Historical Society, Linda preserved our maps for years to come.